?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

I never knew how incredibly awesome daytime court television is. The arguing! The drama! The idiocy! It's great :)

Movers should be moving Kim into my house any minute now. I'm going to have a roommate! I know it will take some getting used to, but I think overall I'll enjoy it. It'll be nice to have someone to hang out with at home more often, someone to cook with, etc. Plus, you know, have actual money.



And finally, a math question, because I can't remember how to do this (I want to multiply something?):

If there is a 10% chance of rain on Saturday, and a 10% chance of rain on Sunday, what is the chance of rain for the weekend?

Tags:

Comments

( 12 comments — Leave a comment )
brittdreams
May. 29th, 2009 01:58 pm (UTC)
Today's chance of rain is much higher than 10%. I hear thunder roaring now.

Judge Judy and People's Court are the best. The rest are disappointing.
thisgirliknow
May. 29th, 2009 02:00 pm (UTC)
I wasn't wondering specifically for this weekend -- I just couldn't figure out the math in general. Although I heard Saturday and Sunday would be gorgeous.

I watched Cristina's Court. It was good, but in a "it's so bad it's good" sort of way.
namrog84
May. 29th, 2009 02:25 pm (UTC)
F= 0.1 (10%) fri
S = 0.1 (10%) sat
U = 0.0 (0%) sun
100% rain = 1.0

(F+S+U)/(1+1+1)

Gives you a 6.6% chance of rain for the weekend?
thisgirliknow
May. 29th, 2009 02:45 pm (UTC)
Friday not an issue. And I think that's incorrect anyway :( that's just 2/3 of 10% and I don't think that's how it works.
namrog84
May. 29th, 2009 03:05 pm (UTC)
Are you sure your not thinking of the other method for another situation
aka dice roll
if you roll a 6 sided dice you have a 1/6th chance
the chance of rolling even number is 3/6

but if you roll it twice, the chance of having it be even sided both times becomes
3/6*3/6 = 9/36 and so on and so forth


however with percentages and chance, you cant multiply by 0% on third day or else it nulls everything

the chance that it rains on both Friday and Saturday, given 10% each, would then be 1/10*1/10 = 1/100 or 1%
and the chance for it to rain on either day is
1/10+1/10 = 2/10 or 20%

but 0% is 0%
thisgirliknow
May. 29th, 2009 03:10 pm (UTC)
I still don't believe you.

The chance for it to rain on either day doesn't seem like it would be 20%. You're probably right, but my brain wants to think it's much more complicated.
namrog84
May. 29th, 2009 03:15 pm (UTC)
Well the true way to figure out would be something like this....

lim x>0 int((sin(s-x)+1)/sqrt(cosh[sin(udu/x) - {kcos(ax)cos(bx)^(1/3)}/{e^5.35*(sin(ax))^pi + 1/sin(ax)} ])0,2
jkrissw
May. 29th, 2009 04:59 pm (UTC)
Nah, that's just how to calculate a 15% tip!
tevarin
May. 29th, 2009 05:02 pm (UTC)
I think Adam is correct that the chance for it to rain Saturday _and_ Sunday is 10% x 10% = 1%

But he's incorrect on the chance for it to rain Saturday _or_ Sunday.

If you just add 10% + 10% you get 20%. But that means if you had ten days in a row, each with a 10% chance of rain, it would always (100%) rain at least one day in that period. But in reality there's a small chance it wouldn't rain at all.

The correct method is to consider that there is a 90% chance it does not rain saturday, and a 90% chance it does not rain sunday.

That means that there is a 90% x 90% or 81% chance it does not rain saturday and it does not rain sunday.

If there's an 81% chance of no rain for the weekend, that means (100-81) = 19% chance of rain.

In general
(Probability of A AND B)=Prob. of A x Prob. of B

(Probability of A OR B)= 100% - [(100% - Prob. A) x (100% - Prob. B)]

Assuming A and B are independent.*

----------------

*Which is not a foolproof assumption. If the average rainstorm lasts a month and the average drought lasts a month, then if it's raining Saturday, that strongly influences whether it will rain Sunday as well. In which case you can't rely on the simple formulas above.

namrog84
May. 29th, 2009 09:54 pm (UTC)
ah yeah thats right. I realized the flaw of the 20% thing(going over 100%) but couldn't remember what I had messed up.

wolfeskitchen
May. 31st, 2009 01:53 am (UTC)
It's funny how I only ever see TV shows like that when I'm getting my oil changed.

And it's still 10% for the whole weekend.
( 12 comments — Leave a comment )

Profile

botticelli
thisgirliknow
Much like pineapples, I am hardcore.

Latest Month

April 2016
S M T W T F S
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by yoksel